Thursday, November 27, 2014
Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Do you ever come up with an idea for a project, and years go by without doing anything about it? Well, this particular project (or a variation of) has been stuck in my head ever since I first laid eyes on Hug Snug seam binding. And I finally found the motivation to get started!
To keep the seam allowances out of my way, I catch-stitched them into place.
The skirt was constructed at the front and side seams, leaving the back open.
I originally intended to leave some of the velveteen visible through the stripes of seam binding. But what I visualized in my head did not look as good when I tried it out with a scrap of fabric.
I started at the hemline after giving myself an even thread-traced line to work from, and went to town!
The rows are far from perfect. Between the nap of the velveteen and the bias bits there were a few frustrating moments.
And the jade green spool of Hug Snug is the first I have come across with major imperfections. The first five yards or so were too flawed to use. Something chewed through a section of the spool which was less than ideal - especially when I was working with long strips of the stuff. Thankfully, the flaws did not mar the entire 100 yards.
As an added bonus, because I started at the hemline each row became shorter and shorter as I went along. I think I may have given up had I started at the waistline and worked my way down!
In all honesty, the process was not nearly as tedious as I was expecting.
I found a vintage zipper in a drawer that was a decent match for the color palette.
And I decided the waistband needed to be embellished as well - I thought a plain band would look silly next to all that ribbon!
An underlining of cotton was applied before I stitched on the seam binding.
The waistband was hand basted in place to make sure I did not catch any of the binding in that seam.
Because the bemberg has a significantly different drape than the velveteen, thread tacks were added at each seam to keep the lining from hanging below the skirt.
It is an extra step that makes a real difference.
Two thread hangers were added as well - the clips on a skirt hanger might smoosh or mar the ribbons along the waistband. (These were made from polyester ribbon; seam binding is not quite sturdy enough to carry the weight of an entire skirt, in my opinion.)
Wednesday, November 12, 2014
Saturday, November 8, 2014
And there were really not that many steps left. Although, it can be hard to remember where you left off when a project is put on hold for too long!
Just a bit of hemming . . .
And pulling out all those basting stitches . . .
And the jacket is complete!
[The fabric for this project was received in exchange for my contributions as a Britex Guest Blogger.]
Monday, November 3, 2014
I am not a huge fan of diminishing daylight hours. Which reminds me . . . I really have to do something about the light (or lack thereof) in my sewing room or my creative productivity is going to be seriously lacking for the next few months.
And that is my second Georgia dress. Perhaps one of these days I will actually make it up as designed, straps and all!