Monday, December 2, 2019

An Autumnal Palette


Ever since I was given some fabulous beaded trims, I have been trying to think of a project where I can put them to good use!  The most obvious choice is a 1960s silhouette, so I dug around in my stash of vintage patterns and found this one.


But before I started cutting into my precious trim, making up a wearable muslin was a must.  And I am glad I did.


I really didn't have enough of this directional print to cut everything out, but I managed by piecing the sleeves.  With the busy print, it's not very noticeable.


And, it turns out, I probably did have enough yardage since the pattern has massive seam allowances included.  That, or this dress was drafted for something over six feet tall!  I took about 3 inches off of the sleeves and almost as much off the skirt hem. 


Which is crazy!


The design is obviously meant to sit above the knee, and it is not possible to hem a flared skirt with such a deep hem, so I cannot figure out why there was so much extra length in both the sleeves and body of the dress.  I also usually cut a 34 bust, so this dress came out a little large through the shoulders.  The body of the dress was also oversized, but that probably has more to do with the silhouette than the sizing.


I took in the shoulders slightly which made the dress fit a little better, but I am still not in love with the dress.  It is incredibly comfortable to wear, but I don't think I have found something I will be making again (especially not with my fabulous beaded trim!).


So I have a new style of dress to add to my closet, but I am still on the lookout for a fabulous 1960s dress worthy of bedazzling.  I know she's out there . . . I just have to keep looking!


Dress:  Made by me, McCalls 8766
Shoes:  Royal Vintage Shoes "Alice Oxfords"
Necklace & Bracelet:  Vintage, from Mom