And surprisingly enough, I really like wearing this dress. Is it the most flattering garment in my closet? Probably not. Will I be abandoning all of my dresses with fitted waists? No way.
Thursday, December 31, 2015
Tuesday, December 29, 2015
Monday, December 21, 2015
The problem was, I could not find the pattern on the site when I went to purchase the pattern.I searched "pleated back dress" to no avail.
For my underlining, I used black organza. Because of the dark wool fabric, I thought it might be easier to see white chalk lines when the two were layered together. It worked great!
Next came a lot of hand basting.
I have had some back luck with printed designs being slightly off grain, so this woven pattern was a nice change. It is really nice having a constant reminder of the grainline built right into the fabric!
Having worked with a similar fabric for this project, I can say that the underlining was useful for more than just marking my stitching lines. The back of the wool is easily pulled by my standard presser foot when two layers of fabric are run through the machine. With the organza covering the loose threads, that problem was resolved.
I debated removing the pockets because this dress is rather sack-like, and I did not want added bulk in the front half of the dress.
Monday, December 7, 2015
Monday, November 23, 2015
The weather has started to turn cold which means this dress will get stashed away in the closet for a few months. But it will definitely see some wear next year - these Alabama Chanin style clothes really are extremely comfortable!
I have been meaning to make myself a new coat for the last couple of years, but never manage to get to it while the garment would be weather appropriate. And working with heavy wool in the Spring just feels wrong.
A hand sewing project actually sounds rather appealing, but I think I want to take a bit of a break from cotton jersey. Hopefully a few days of vacation will get me back in the sewing room.
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
Because I knew that I was going to travel with this project, I tried basting my polka dots in place on a couple of pieces. This did not work well at all. The jersey started to curl at the edges, and the hasty basting started falling out when I handled and stitched things together.