This crushed velvet has had quite the journey. I purchased what was left on the bolt from
Beverly’s before my local
store sadly went out of business.
I used it to make a cute little purse for a Christmas gift years ago. And then I found the perfect cocktail dress for the fabulous fabric, or so I thought . . .
My idea of what the dress was going to look like and the reality were, well, extremely different. Here is the painful proof.
This is/was Vogue 2943. I had grand plans, really I did.
Somewhere along the line I lost all interest because the pattern/fit/choice of pocket interfacing just was not working properly. Oh well. You just can't win every battle.
I did have a yard of material left, plus some large and small scraps. But it was not enough for a dress, no matter how clever my cutting layout might be. A skirt was a possibility, but I really wanted to be completely ensconced in velvet.
That poor excuse for a dress was going to have to be sacrificed for the cause. (Can you tell I have been reading Gone With the Wind?)
Surprisingly enough, it was not all that painful to rip the dress apart. I was expecting a few tears, but it was somewhat liberating to admit that the UFO was never going to be finished.
It probably comes as no surprise that I love Gertie’s Butterick pattern line (I sincerely hope we will see more designs in the future). And the dress pattern should look wonderful in red velvet.
Next step . . . muslin. With extremely limited yardage, a muslin was absolutely necessary.
And as much as I love a cocktail dress with tiny sleeves, they are not very practical at this time of year. A sleeve substitution was necessary.
Of course, the brilliant Gertie has mentioned that she is working on a three-quarter length sleeve tutorial! But I just could not wait. (Although I am very curious to see how she goes about adding length to the sleeve.)
I pulled out an old pattern with three-quarter sleeves. Well, I got very lucky, because the sleeves happen to fit the dress pattern perfectly – almost as if they were meant for each other.
I am just hoping that this fabric is not cursed and that the project will succeed.
So, for now, it is back to the sewing room!