Here is my latest Britex project!
My first idea for the beautiful floral fabric was nixed when I could not get my hands on a new Vogue pattern. (My local JoAnn Fabrics has been especially bad about stocking patterns for the last year or so . . . ggrrrr.) So I had to scramble a bit and come up with an alternative.
This Butterick vintage reproduction is one I have made up before. I had enough cut yardage to work with, and the print worked with the style as well which made it an obvious choice.
The fabric is quite sheer, almost gauze-like. My first though was to make myself a slip as an extra layer.
But I also wanted this to be an easy to wear summer dress, and some days I just do not want to wear another layer. The obvious solution was to underline it with a lightweight cotton batiste.
I did make a couple of alterations from the first dress.
As with most patterns, I initially added ¾” to the torso length. This turned out to be just a bit too much. This time around, I only added ½” which might not seem like much of an alteration, but it really does make a difference.
This design has a side zipper. The instructions only include a diagram of the zipper for the second view (a halter neck). On the first dress, I went on my merry way, confident that I had constructed quite a few 1940s side zip dresses and stitched the upper inch of the left side seam closed before inserting my zipper. Well, that dress requires a bit of squirming to get in and out of it. This time around, I decided the sleeved version needed to open from the top edge to hip, just like the halter version. And it worked like a charm!
I feel like a complete goof for not figuring that out the first time around . . . but now I know why I felt compelled to make myself another version . . . there was a lesson to be learned!
Dress: Made by me, Butterick 5209
Shoes: Banana Republic
[The fabric for this dress was received in exchange for my contributions as a Britex Guest Blogger.]