I can only go so long before I need a project that will require a whole lot of hand stitching.
I made a stencil of this Alabama Chanin design a while back, but never actually got around to using it. Until now!
Time for a change of plans!
Which meant that I would not need any extra seam allowance to play with, so they were trimmed off of the muslin/pattern pieces.
I had just enough white cotton jersey stashed away for the dress, so it seemed like it was meant to be.
Then I had to decide on a color scheme - and this is what I came up with.
The oversized stencil design made this a fairly quick project.
At least, quicker than my previous hand appliquéd projects!
For this particular dress, I decided to use a double strand of embroidery floss to appliqué the two layers together.
It is not the strongest thread option out there, but the massive choice of color options makes the embroidery floss very tempting.
And since this dress really does not have much negative ease, I did not anticipate a problem with my thread choice.
I did use a button and carpet thread for the seams, just to be safe.
The topstitching, however, is embroidery floss. (I definitely have a tendency to choose difficult to match fabric!)
I was slightly concerned that the large motifs that would be cut away might make my fabric choice a little too thin for my taste, but it turned out just fine.
And then a whole lot of hand stitching later . . .
and I had a new dress!
I continue to love the raw edge look that the original Alabama Chanin pieces have, but I just cannot get used to the idea of leaving edges raw. Especially with fabrics that curl.
I did, however, use a single fold, so those raw edges are on display from the inside of the garment. What a rebel, right! And I guarantee that this is just about as anti-seam binding as I am ever going to get . . .