The past couple of days I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed by this process and needed a project that I could complete quickly. There is nothing like being able to check something off a list to instill a sense of accomplishment!
Because I did not want the added stress of having to fashion myself a black petticoat for my Ceil Chapman cocktail dress, I recently purchased a Malco Modes tea length petticoat on ebay. I know, I am being incredibly lazy, but time constraints sometimes get in the way, and I would rather spend my time and energy working on the dress. Wanting the fluffiest one I could find, I ordered an extra-large because each size gets incrementally longer as they move from small to large. This was probably wishful thinking, because I imagine the easiest way to produce them is to alter the yoke of the petticoat, and not the netting, but just in case, I got the longest one I could find. I was not worried about waist size (which was even bigger than expected) because I planned on altering the waistband for myself. I cannot stand an elastic waist because it never feels secure to me and constantly rotates on the body.
I made a simple waistband from some black cotton that I had. The top elastic was cut off, and the cotton band sewn on to encase the raw edge I had created. The back is fastened with a simple hook and eye closure. Instead of using a zipper, I just cut an opening in the center back yoke and rolled a mini hem so I can get in and out of the petticoat now that the waist is no longer stretchy.