As soon as I saw this pattern, I fell in love. The short sleeved version may just be the world’s perfect sun dress. And I was really hoping that my embroidered polka dots would work. Without the border design, my fabric was only 45” wide. Thankfully, it did!
The envelope design seems to indicate that the skirt is rather full and even looks like a crinoline is involved. However, the skirt width does not easily accommodate a petticoat or crinoline.
I am not finding a copyright date on the pattern envelope or instruction sheet. But a previous owner (I am thinking the original) wrote a few notations on the envelope, including a handy date of “July 52.” I would assume that it refers to the date of purchase, so the pattern must have been printed prior to July of 1952. The name “Irene” is also written in pencil, but I am not sure if this is the purchaser, seamstress, or intended recipient of a finished garment. The pattern was never used, but it feels extra special to know that someone had plans for this particular pattern, even if they never got around to them!
And the pattern description is just wonderful: “A smart afternoon dress with kimono sleeves and a diagonal front closing from neckline to hem-line.” I believe that Simplicity is an American company, but the description sounds very British. Or perhaps I just equate old fashioned wording and clever phrases with Ye Olde
This is another Sew Weekly Challenge garment. This week was all about television shows. Although the dress was originally meant for Vegas week (as a Rockabilly frock), once I found my buttons, I though it would be perfect for channeling Lucille Ball.
Dressing like Lucy makes me feel like a bit of a goof, so please forgive the ridiculous photos.
I attempted to recreate her hairstyle as well, with limited success.
Actually, I own a big red curly wig that I purchased a few years ago to complete my I Love Lucy Halloween outfit, but it felt like a bit much, seeing as it is not Halloween.
|Lucy and Ricky Ricardo, Halloween 2009|
A chance encounter with a yellow watering can stepped up the silliness to a whole new level.
Now that I have finished the dress, I realize that this design would work quite well as a dressier garment, with the right fabric and buttons! And I bet it would make an excellent skirt as well.
Those flamingos are looking a bit parched!
But after making fourteen bound buttonholes in the last couple of weeks for this dress and my Garden Party frock, I am going to do my best to find a project that does not require buttons or zippers of any kind.
I am ready for a break!
Dress: Made by me, Simplicity 3849
Belt: Made by me
Shoes: Colin Stuart
Necklace & Earrings: local farmer's market
[More construction specifics may be found here.]