Sometimes it all starts with a print.
This particular fabric is a heavy upholstery weight, but I could not resist the cheery print. I have had luck with upholstery fabric in the past, in particular, this vintage reproduction suit.
But when this showed up at my doorstep from fabric.com, I thought I had made a huge mistake.
I decided to forge ahead with a skirt. And here was the perfect opportunity to finally pull out my first Colette Pattern, the Beignet.
The fabric was quite a bit thicker than I had anticipated, so I used a mid-weight black cotton for my facing pieces and eliminated the interfacing altogether.
The pattern really does not allow for print matching. I decided to get over it, and enjoy the abstract look it created. And it turned out better than I was expecting.
I did not have any suitable lining on hand, so I went to JoAnn Fabrics. Of course, their stock of rayon lining is extremely limited. They were out of black, so I picked up a cranberry red color, and it turned out to be a lovely contrast.
It would seem that my fear of machine made buttonholes is alive and well. So add another 12 bound buttonholes to the tally. They really look nice on the front of the skirt with my contrasting pink buttons.
I am quite certain that this pattern is going to get a whole lot of use in the near future. The options are endless! Thank you Colette Patterns!
Skirt: Made by me, Colette “Beignet”
Blouse: Banana Republic
Shoes: Anne Klein