This skirt was one of my final projects for 2012.
I set a challenge for myself to create a skirt out of fabric and notions that were already in my stash – no cheating! And it turns out I can complete a project in a single day, finished seams and lining included - I believe it is the first time that has happened!
If I had my druthers, the skirt would be a skosh longer. But with the limited yardage, I think I did a pretty good job. The upholstery remnant was originally purchased to make a tote bag – which I should pull out of storage, come to think of it . . .
The waistband is quite thin and is seamed at the center front, but the weave disguises the issue. And speaking of issues, I did not have any chance of matching seams on this one, but surprisingly, I like the finished product.
The lining fabric is leftover from my Snow White Halloween costume. It is a polyester (horrors!) flannel backed satin. I had to cut one of the pieces on the cross grain, but it does not seem to have created any problems.
During construction I was a bit concerned that the flannel was going to cling and bunch up, but it actually keeps the lining from shifting during the day or showing when I sit down.
I am thrilled with how this personal challenge turned out, and think I will have to do this every couple of months. Perhaps I can get all of those yards of fabric under control this year!
Sweater: Banana Republic
Skirt: Made by Me, Simplicity 4047
Shoes: Banana Republic
Earrings: Liz Palacios