This was one of those projects that kept me guessing.
I received the pattern from an incredibly generous lady named Vivian earlier this year. We met at a Britex event, and she mentioned that she had a stash of vintage patterns she thought I might like . . . would I!?! This Spadea design was one of my favorites, but there was nothing suitable in my fabric stash, so it was put away.
But last week during a quick trip to JoAnn Fabrics, in a last minute effort to stock the sewing room with everything I would need for a sewing-filled holiday, I fell in love with this fabric and decided I could handle the 2% spandex mixed in with the woven cotton because I simply could not miss out on the color and impressionistic style of the print. And it was just perfect for the Spadea pattern that kept popping into my head.
I was so excited, I threw the yardage in the wash as soon as I got home, followed by the dryer so I could cut right into it.
And then I started to doubt my choice of pattern and/or fabric.
It looked like a muumuu. Not good.
Oh, the difference a belt and a petticoat can make! I agree with the pattern illustration . . . a dress like this needs a wide belt, which meant that I did not have a suitable buckle option on hand. And I desperately wanted to finish at least one project over the weekend. So the only thing to do was make my own using the same technique I came up with for last year’s gala gown.
And I convinced myself to continue with the dress. If I ended up hating it, I could always salvage the oversized pieces for something else.
In fact, there was just enough leftovers to make a straight skirt from this pattern, so that is also in the works (it was a rather successful few days of vacation on the sewing front!).
And in the end, I love my new dress! Thank you, Vivian, for the lovely addition to my stash of vintage goodies!!
Dress: Made by me, Lachasse of London for Spadea NS-203
Belt: Made by me
Petticoat: Made by me, Butterick 4792
Shoes: Vince Camuto