After cleaning up the edges of the belt with some extra beads (which was relaxing, but took much more time than I was expecting!) I decided that a beaded buckle was needed.
Following the fabric was not going to work, and my go-to always seems to be floral, which did not seem right, either. In the end I sort of followed the idea of the damask scroll work, but made it my own.
The belt for my eyelet dress was a test run for the buckle construction.
Quilting batting was used to pad out some plastic needlepoint canvas which was covered with my beaded fabric (for the prior version I cut up a plastic lid, but the holes that are built into the needlepoint canvas are much easier to work with).
To finish the raw edges on the back side, I cut a piece of fabric to the shape of the form, turned the edges under, and stitched over the back side of the buckle.
There are a couple of hook & eyes and a snap or two that need to be stitched on, but I am going to wait until I have the dress finished.
At the moment, the belt does not quite fit around my form, but it works on my waist.
[Britex has generously provided the fabric and sewing supplies for a dress I will be wearing to a formal event in October. I will be sharing some of the steps and construction techniques with you as I work on this project over the next couple of months.]