Remember this eyelet project?
Well, I finally finished it!
I am slowly working my way through all of those unfinished bits that are cluttering up my sewing room so I can begin my gala project in earnest!
I have a bad habit of getting excited about a new project and jumping right in without finishing what I currently have on the sewing table. This particular dress was put aside when I was distracted by my Fall for Cotton top. All it needed was a hem and a belt.
Since I will be focusing on just one outfit for the next month or so, everything distracting needs to be out of sight. Not to mention the change of seasons will make anything summer related much less exciting, which is a great motivation to finish something made of lightweight eyelet.
There was not quite enough fabric for a belt, and all that pink needed a bit of contrast anyway.
Years ago, JoAnn Fabrics had a deep burgundy velvet, and I was really hoping they might still have some in stock since my remnants from this hat would not accommodate a belt shape. And, miraculously, they did!
I ended up doing something a little different for the "buckle." Using the top from a plastic container, I cut an oval form, which I then covered with cotton batting, followed by the velvet fabric.
Now it is time to clean up that sewing room!
Dress & Bolero: Made by me, Simplicity 3224
Belt: Made by me
Shoes: Banana Republic
Necklace: Judith Jack