This project is a first for me – working without instructions!
When I started garment sewing, I assumed there was only one way to construct a pattern. I figured that the directions were there for a reason, and ignoring them would cause major problems. What can I say, I was naïve.
Part of what makes garment construction so much fun for me these days is the infinite number of ways a dress can be put together.
So when I came upon this vintage pattern that did not include the instruction pages, I was disappointed to miss out on learning new techniques, but figured it would also be a great challenge.
The pattern is printed, and I have the cover art which gives me a good idea of what the dress should look like.
Unfortunately, the ebay seller's description failed to mention the missing and damaged pieces – which I find rather irritating.
The bolero front is torn and missing an important chunk. Thankfully, I was able to piece together what the original looked like using the facing. And the cuffs and another facing piece are completely missing. I think I will be able to work around all of this, but I never would have purchased a pattern without directions AND pieces. Which makes this a bit more challenging than expected . . .
Wish me luck!