There is still a bit of work to be done on Simplicity 3224, but I am getting there! Kris generously emailed me a copy of the instructions (thank you!), but I am going to hold off looking at them until I finish, and then compare what I did to the original construction.
To complicate matters, I am working with eyelet, which requires a bit of extra finishing work. Silk organza came to my rescue, once again. I found three yards that I completely forgot about – love when that happens!
|This is not going to work . . .|
Unfortunately, I did not think my pocket construction all the way through. Sometimes auto pilot gets in the way.
I will just call the mistake my practice run. The opening is what needs to be finished, not the bottom portion - whoops! Way to miss the obvious!
I wanted my eyelet motifs to match as much as possible, so I marked those in chalk on the pocket and pocket flap tissue.
One side of the flap is underlined in my ivory bemberg and the other in silk organza for a bit more body.
One thing that took me way too long to understand was clipping exterior curves. Interior curves were clearly not going to lay flat without a few cuts, but I never really understood why a circle edge could be so lumpy. But clip a few little triangles out of the curve and everything is perfectly smooth!
The bodice is underlined, but I am treating my ivory bemberg as a lining for the skirt pieces. Because the two fabrics drape very differently, I cut the rayon lining shorter than the cotton eyelet. The dress has been hanging for a couple of days, and parts of the lining are now even with the cotton eyelet, which is exactly what I was expecting.
At the moment, I am working on the bolero.