My Alabama Chanin adventures continue . . .
I have a pink wool coating that I keep meaning to put to use. The pattern changes from year to year, but this time around it was the BurdaStyle Shawl Collar Fit and Flare Coat. I loved the design as soon as I saw it, and when Beth mentioned the very same pattern at a get together last year, I purchased a copy for myself.
I began working on a muslin, but the fit was not going to be right for the thick wool fabric, and I put it aside and was soon distracted by other projects and fabrics. By the time I picked it up again, the weather made working with wool rather ridiculous. Whoops. There goes another winter season with no new coat.
But I did need a matching garment for my Alabama Chanin skirt, and this seemed like a possibility. So I swapped out a single piece sleeve for the original, and got to work.
My main issue with the jacket construction what to do with the section of bodice front that is turned and becomes part of the collar. I did not want the green side of the work to be visible for such a small portion of the piece because I was afraid it would look like a mistake.
I ended up adding an extra layer of blue jersey to the folded section.
My least favorite part of this process is the second line of stitching necessary to complete the felled seamlines. There is a fair amount of bulk to contend with, which is not nearly as much fun as the appliqué. But I do love the way it looks, so I am sticking with it!
And eventually, I will have a brand new outfit!