This dress was a test . . . I had a design idea and thought Simplicity 1197 might be a good starting point to create it.
In my mind, I decided I wanted to make my trial run in a mint green fabric. I never found exactly what I was looking for, but I did pick up this yellow cotton at Stonemountain & Daughter Fabrics that felt suitable for the dress.
The design turned out to be much more fitted through the skirt than I was expecting. Which means it will not work for my original idea (too many alterations necessary!), but at least I have a new summer dress that is great to wear in hot weather!
I added two inches to the hemline of this dress, and I feel like to it is bordering on too short (which is a common issue I have with the vintage reproductions from Simplicity).
I also added sleeve heads which helps the garment look more tailored on my sloped shoulders.
The style is a little out of my comfort zone, but I ended up really liking the result. There may even be more 1960s designs in my future . . .
Dress: Made by me, Simplicity 1997
Shoes: Liz Claiborne
Earrings: Made by me