For all the time it took, the dress is not all that exciting. But I have to say, I am thrilled to finally call this one done! (My reward to myself was starting another dress.)
Simplicity 4070 has a copyright date of 2006, so this dress has been not quite complete for about ten years. I may have another work in progress that is even older, but I cannot think of one.
And this is certainly proof that personal sewing techniques change over the years as there are quite a few things I would have done differently today.
After pulling the whole thing out of the bag it was living in, all that was left to do was cut out and construct the belt and some bits of finishing on the back. At least I did myself the favor of keeping the pattern and fabric together all these years!
I went ahead and added a waist stay to the dress because of the invisible zipper.
The hook & eye at the back neck is a bit of a fail. There just is not enough tension to keep it closed with normal movement. At some point, I will replace it with a button and thread loop.
This is a minor issue, but I do hate anything that remotely smacks of mending. Once a garment is finished, I want it to stay finished!
The fabric is a linen blend (the flowers have some nylon or poly in them). I still remember looking for a suitable underlining color. Turns out a deep green made those burnout sections pop.
The linen is very lightweight so in the wind the green cotton shows at the hem. I suppose I could shorten the length, but again, alterations are not my favorite thing to do. Overall, I am going to call this one a success!
Dress & Belt: Made by me, Simplicity 4070
Shoes: Jennifer Moore
Cardigan: Banana Republic