Last year, I found an amazing black and white floral brocade online at Elliott Berman. I love textured fabrics, and this one was too hard to resist.
The listing has disappeared, but I believe it is a cotton/poly blend. Which reminds me . . . I should really write these things down while the information is still available!
But yes, I loved the print so much I was willing to brave the evil that is polyester!
As it often goes, my initial plans for the fabric changed once I got it in my hands. When Butterick 6285 was released, I knew immediately that I wanted to make up the skirt and this fabric seemed like it would be a great fit. It is probably on the heavy side for those double pleats, but with a bit of trimming, it all worked out for the best! (By the way, the seam allowances on this thing are HUGE - I have never come across another Big-4 pattern like it.)
The only alteration I made was to swap a shaped waistband for the straight narrow one drafted for the pattern.
Then came the issue of what to wear with the skirt. I have wanted to make another version of McCalls 7053 for some time, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity.
My original plan was to dye some rayon twill turquoise and have at it, but in the end, I decided to go with fuchsia. And I am so glad I did - this blouse has already had quite a bit of wear.
And I may have made myself a matching jacket for my fabulous new skirt! Hooray for separates!
Blouse: Made by me, McCalls 7053
Skirt: Made by me, Butterick 6285