I am currently working on two different versions of Butterick 6413. I don't believe I have ever done this before, and it certainly has its benefits, but since I am constructing the two dresses slightly differently, it is messing with my head!
When I brought this pattern home, I really hoped it would be the perfect design for my leftover cherry silk/wool from New York. I have tried repeatedly to use this fabric, but there is never quite enough. I really am down to scraps! In fact, the muslin for Vogue 9125 was meant for this fabric, but it ended up working better in a knit.
Since this design has quite a few smaller pieces, I thought there was a good chance that this might work.
Of course, I started with a muslin. Finding enough scrap fabric was even challenging - I ended up piecing the skirt front. Which reminds me that I have to order more!
My standard alterations made this dress fit quite well, but that did not stop me from messing with the back skirt darts. In the end, I went back to the original placement, and just shortened them a bit.
Then the whole thing was ripped apart.
The real test, of course, was to see if the pieces would fit on my leftover fabric (basically a yard of 60" wide fabric with a flaw smack dab in the center, plus scraps). It took a bit of finagling, but I did manage it!
I took pictures of my layout, and I also drew a sloppy diagram in case the pictures somehow disappeared and I was unable to replicate the jigsaw puzzle!
The underlining for this is plain old mid-weight cotton. The stitching lines were traced onto that, and then I had to fit those on my cherry print. I would have liked a deeper hem on the skirt, but really, I am very, very lucky that everything fits!
Next up is a whole lot of hand basting . . . because such a gorgeous fabric deserves special treatment!