Another wonderful feature of this design is the rather intricate sleeve.
When it comes to measurements and drafted pieces not matching up (vintage or contemporary patterns alike), I always assume I am the one who has made the error. However, when it comes to directions, I often find myself second guessing the illustrated diagrams and wording even before getting the pieces in my hands.
And I have to admit that when I happened upon the diagrams for this sleeve craziness, I scoffed. What were they thinking sewing things with raw edges out?! Well let me tell you, the writer of these particular directions knew exactly what they were doing with these origami-like creations.
Thank you, my muslin, for proving me wrong before I made a huge mistake! By the way, all of those bias cut layers use a lot of fabric and I would have been rather peeved if I had to re-cut them out of expensive or precious material.
They also look very similar. To help keep everything straight, I pinned the letter names of each individual piece right on the fabric until the sleeve was completely finished.
Fabric choice becomes important with these sleeves. I am using a mid-weight wool, and anything thicker would make them just about impossible to construct. There is a whole lot of bulk going on here and a bunch of trimming of seams. If I found a fantastic brocade that demanded to be made up using this design, I would probably opt to do without all the extra overlapping pieces. I think a plain three-quarter length sleeve would go beautifully with this look, although for my first attempt I am sticking with the original – if only for the challenge!
First misunderstanding resolved!