Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Favorite Kind of Leftovers


I get cranky if I can’t manage at least two projects from a length of fabric, even if I start with less than the first pattern calls for.  It’s silly, but each time I get away with it, I get more and more determined to continue the trend.


After cutting out my latest Britex Project, I had some leftovers – not enough for another dress, but enough to feel silly folding it up and putting it away to languish in a drawer.  And since Spring weather is somewhat unpredictable, a coverup of some kind seemed like a good idea.  Cardigans are lovely, but sometimes a girl needs something different.


I started with Butterick 4927.  I know I have another capelet pattern somewhere that is not double breasted, but this was the first one I found.  After coming across various examples of vintage patterns that utilize dress strap buttons as anchor points, I decided that I just had to have one!  


I love the shawl collar look of this design, so I set out to make my own.  


To help me figure out how to modify the collar, I pulled out the facing from Simplicity 3224, matched the inner corners up and gave myself plenty of fold over collar to play with.  I trimmed the collar down and rounded the front edges of one side before duplicating the look on the other.


Finishing the edges were the next puzzle to solve.  I liked the idea of binding them, but the fabric was way too thick and I did not have a suitable alternate on hand.  I pinned on a bit of the natural colored underlining as a contrast, but did not like the look of it.  In the end, I just stitched two complete capelets right sides together, leaving a few inches open at the center back to turn everything right side out.


After playing around with the fabric, I quickly realized that buttonholes were probably not a great idea.  I could reinforce a bound buttonhole with silk organza, but even so, was worried about the raveling.



A front closure was certainly a possibility, but not my preference.  In the end, I used those buttons as anchor points. but in a different manner.  With a loop of elastic attached to the inside of the cape, I can move around without worrying that the capelet is going to fall off my shoulders.  Not the most beautiful solution, but it works!



[The fabric for this project was received in exchange for my contributions as a Britex Guest Blogger.]

13 comments:

  1. so lovely and fresh for summer,you have a lot of idea!X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to make things out of leftovers as well - this cape is gorgeous and just right for the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea (and the fabric is amazing, too)! Capes are one of my current obsessions, and yours is a beautiful inspiration. Can't wait to see the whole shebang put together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for leftover yardage! It looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty!! I can totally see you that little capelet! It's all very ladies-who-lunch elegant ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I'm such huge fan of vintage wraps. I made one by Schiaparelli last year and want to get going on a Claire McCardell design soon. They're perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! The capelet really completes the look in a way that a cardigan just couldn't! I so often find that the leftover project is the one that turns out the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The capelet is beautiful. I think its a great idea to try and get another project out of a length of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stellar idea!!! I love this design, very much including the pretty pink buttons you use.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just beautiful. I love the elegance of a capelet + dress. Sometimes the best ideas stem from trying to solve a problem like using up extra yardage!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely. Love the elastic loops. What a good solution.

    ReplyDelete