When I left off sharing the insides of this dress, I was working on the skirt, which includes a layer of Pellon. Watch out, my hips and I are coming through!
There is a bit of seam binding in there, surprise, surprise! I rarely make it through a project these days without adding a bit of the stuff.
The instructions for Vogue 4203 included a new-to-me bound buttonhole technique, so I tried it out (first on a scrap of muslin, of course).
It will not replace my favorite technique, but I love having different options.
And a bit of thread tracing is still a good idea, no matter which technique is used!
And, of course, the facing . . .
Lots and lots of buttonholes!
It's funny, I have done this so many times, I actually find it relaxing.
(Provided I am not working on a deadline, or in the dark - bound buttonholes are definitely a day time activity!)
I also underlined the bodice with a plain cotton. It didn't seem fair to give the skirt so much extra body, only to ignore the bodice pieces!
The waist seam has bias covered piping made from the thickest yarn I could find in my stash. I pre-wash a length of yarn and stick it in the dryer before doing this to make sure all of the shrinking is out of the way.
The piping is then basted to the bodice. It also finished the neckline as well.
I often make a belt to match back to a fitted waist dress, but every once in a while it is nice to be reminded of other possibilities.
For the view I chose, the back bodice buttons closed, but just to the waistline. That means a side zipper is needed to get in and out of the dress.
I hand picked a lapped zipper application.
And, of course, a waist stay was added. Somehow I did not manage to get a picture of that . . . it is a pretty pale pink grosgrain, so you can just imagine that!
Because the bottom of the skirt is cut on a straight edge, a nice deep hem is an option. It also adds a bit of weight to a hemline that might like to fly up at an inopportune moment!
And that is the dress!