In an attempt to finish a few more Winter appropriate items before it's too late (daytime temperatures in the Bay Area have been hinting at a season change), I decided to move forward with this outfit.
I stalled out on the project after inserting the side zipper on the bodice back in December. The unfinished garment sat on my sewing table, looking pathetic. Every time I went in there (usually to get something for my Alabama Chanin skirt), I would feel guilty. And the pieces were taking up enough space that it did not feel right starting something new. Time to get to it!
There are no shoulder pads in this top, but I did think adding a sleeve head was a good idea since the wool is rather drapey.
Then out came the tracing paper, the pattern pieces, and the bemberg lining. It really is ridiculous I have been avoiding finishing this for so long . . .
There are a whole lot of red button options in my sewing room, but nothing matched this wool. Fortunately, I had a lone covered button left in its packaging that needed a permanent home.
The matching skirt needed a hem, as did the bodice sleeves.
A couple of thread tacks later, and the project is almost done!
It still needs a good press.
And I keep finding bits of basting thread in the seams, so I will have to do more exploring in the daylight hours for any rogue pink and turquoise silk threads. But the sense of accomplishment feels great!