Many of you have probably guessed the pattern I used for my first Britex project: Simplicity 1777 (one of their recent vintage reproduction patterns).
I understand that many people take an immediate dislike to any garment that includes a pair of shoulder pads, but I believe they can add quite a lot to a garment’s silhouette. And anything that helps to balance out my hips is fine by me!
This particular reproduction pattern does not suggest adding shoulder pads. But the straight shouldered silhouette of the pattern illustration clearly suggests that the original pattern would have used them – and my sloped shoulders can certainly use any help they can get to fit the 1940s silhouette!
After I cut all of the pieces out in my cotton voile, it was clear that the lovely yoke detail was going to be completely lost among the sunglasses. Whoops!
A bit of bias cut piping applied along the yoke edges solved my problem. To add a bit more turquoise, I also bound the neck and wrist edges. This required trimming away the entire seam allowance – which is especially important with a small neckline opening.
And it is true what others have said about this pattern – there is a whole lot of pleating involved. I like to use pins (without plastic heads since they can easily melt) to mark the fold lines, making them visible from both sides of the fabric before heading to the ironing board. In the end, I think the pleats serve their purpose beautifully, so I am happy to spend the extra time. Just don't expect to plow through this pattern in one or two hours! And hand basting is your friend!
This is one of those dresses that looks rather drab on the hanger, but is quite flattering on the body.
A huge thank you goes out to Britex for the opportunity to work with some fabulous fabric on a fun project!
Dress: Made by me, Simplicity 1777
Sweater: Made by me, Cabled Cardi
Ring: Grandfather’s class ring
[The fabric for this dress was received in exchange for my contributions as a Britex Guest Blogger.]