I have been hoarding this cotton/silk jacquard for quite a few years. There have been a few patterns that made me think about using it, but they never seemed perfect, until now!
The yardage came from a Bella Notte Linens warehouse sale – after measuring it, I believe this piece was intended for a king size sheet (it is really, really wide). There were a few discolorations here and there, which is probably why it ended up where it did, but the imperfections were easy enough to cut around. And I even have leftovers for another project.
My muslin was cut at the shorter length, so I measured from the raw edge to the floor while wearing it - that meant that I could take four inches off each skirt piece. Which is so much better than having to cut precious fabric off the hem later on.
I adore working with silk and cotton blends. The fabric is gorgeous and also easy to handle.
Most of the skirt seams are French seams.
Because the fabric is rather lightweight, I thought this was the best option.
And, of course, the front slit means the insides of the garment may be visible at times.
Oh my goodness, I love this fabric!
I used seam binding on the zipper seam, of course - can't have my Hug Snug feeling neglected.
And the slit seam was turned under and stitched in place.
It is finally starting to look like a dress!