This pattern presents a certain challenge when it comes to fabric choice.
The bodice and skirt require a certain amount of structure, but the capelet needs to drape.
One solution is to add underlining where structure is needed. I went with a stable cotton. (It makes me laugh that both of these fabrics were labeled "navy" - I wonder which classification Pantone would agree with?)
The cotton gives body to the rayon fabric.
I mentioned that the armhole facing was missing from this pattern. My first thought was to use a bias binding for the armholes and the neckline.
But with that funny jog at the center front, it was going to be much easier to use a facing.
With the underlining, I can invisibly tack the entire facing down which will keep it securely in place.
I did, however, draft armhole facings narrower than the original – this is just a matter of preference. I will probably stitch the entire circumference down instead of tacking at the seamlines just as I will with the neckline facing.
My favorite part of the process is when the garment begins to look like more than random pattern pieces.
There is still a lot of work to be done, but it definitely is starting to look like a dress!
[The fabric for this project was received in exchange for my contributions as a Britex Guest Blogger.]