And now it starts to look like an actual dress!
Joining the bodice to the skirt is always exciting.
I love getting an idea of what the final dress is going to look like, but from here on out, there is a lot of fabric to drag around the sewing room.
I did a fair amount of grading to the waist seam.
Most of the raw edges were pinked and catch-stitched to the underlining.
I decided to go for a lapped zipper application, which was hand-picked.
The underbodice was hand stitched to the bodice side seam allowance. I trimmed the layers and catch-stitched them to the underlining of the bodice as well to keep them from moving around.
The back bodice pieces were cut out in the cotton lining fabric and hand stitched in place, covering the raw edges of the underbodice. I added a couple of bones to the back bodice lining as well.
The gussets were omitted from the lining, so the upper portion of that side seam is simply folded under and not stitched to anything.
This eliminates some bulk and keeps the mobility through the arms.
And after a lot of hand stitching . . .
most of the raw edges were covered.
[Disclosure: My Fabric Designs provided me with a coupon code which was used to purchase a portion of this fabric, but the opinions posted here are my own.]