Oh my goodness, this skirt requires a TON of fabric. Last Sunday, I cleared my sewing table, pulled the grid mat off, pushed the coffee table back, and went to work on the living room floor.
All I can says is that I am incredibly thankful for having my sewing room and table! I do NOT miss working on the floor. It is exhausting!
I started with a muslin of the back which is cut on the fold - no thank you! The tissue is 40 inches wide and I just knew it was going to be a nightmare trying to get my fabric folded over and pinned in place.
And then I had to deal with the flaws that I found while ironing my yardage. I had two lengths of the blue rayon satin, both of which had small flaws. And, of course, some of them were in the middle of the fabric, not at the edges where they could be avoided. Aargh!
I was able to avoid four of them by marking each with a thread tack. Unfortunately, there was absolutely no way to eliminate the fifth. I still have not decided whether I should carefully stitch it closed, or hope that the flaw does not get any bigger.
And then the process was repeated with my bemberg lining. At which point, I wanted to take a nap.
Here is my blue jacquard bodice paired back with the satin skirt. This project is beginning to look like a cross between Cinderella and Ginger Rogers.
I feel pretty good about my progress so far, and hope to have everything completed in plenty of time. We shall see how that goes . . .